18.4.10

Gina Triplett and Matt Curtius



I first came across Gina Triplett's swirling, flowering work in high school, when I purchased Ramsey Lewis' album "Time Flies." The cover featured Triplett's signature, intricate, ink patterns, over paint-dripping, textural backgrounds. I immediately went to the internet to find more of her work, where I found that not only did she work alone, but also collaborated with her husband, Matt Curtius. When working together, two combine seemingly disparate styles- Matt's realistically rendered imagery, and Gina's bold detailed patterns- into cohesive, often floral images. I have made the two's site one of my regularly visited destinations, and am always excited by what I find there. Every image is a miniature world unto itself, bursting with lovingly-created detail. In addition to the floral motifs, both Triplett and Curtius are skilled hand-drawn typographers, often incorporating text into their images. You can see more of their work on Gina's blog.

No comments: