2.7.09

Boo Ritson



I very rarely choose to feature artists whom I have found via a recent entry on another blog. Usually, I like to let them gestate in my bookmarks before choosing them at what I feel is the appropriate time. Boo Ritson is an exception to that rule. Ms. Ritson has taken a rather innovative approach to portrait photography, combining it with painting and performance art. Her subjects become the canvas, as she covers them in layers of thick paint, being sure to include details of shading and highlights. Her colors are bright, and her execution innovative. Not only are her subjects rendered nearly anonymous underneath coats of paint, but they are transformed into various kitschy archetypes. Huzzah for rule breaking!

See more of her work here:
Poppy Sebire Gallery
Saatchi Gallery


No comments: